The Time Has Come :(

In all the excitement of finding a new trailer to restore, we have avoided  talking about what we knew had to happen. We have to find a new home for our beloved Overlander.  Unfortunately, we don’t have the time, money, or space to properly care for more than one trailer at a time. I just have to look at it like this…we rescued her from near death, performed major reconstructive surgery, rehabilitated her and prepared her for an exciting future of travel and adventure for many years to come.  In return, she opened up the world of the WBCCI and Airstreaming to us.  We have met the most fantastic people, made life long friends, and had a blast  at camp outs and rallies with the HOTCU. She provided us with a temporary home while we built our permanent one and taught us to “See More, Do More, Live More“.

Edit: Our trailer is sold but you may be able to view the listing on Airstream Classifieds here.

 

 

Advertisements

What a year!

In a few days, it will be one year since we started the process of bringing a neglected 1976 Airstream back to life.  It’s been more work than we ever imagined, cost way more than we thought it would, and has been the most challenging and exciting project we have ever done.  We are really happy with the way it turned out but there’s  two things we should have done differently. The first thing is the flooring. The VCT tile we used looks great and we don’t have any complaints, but Marmoleum would have been awesome!  The second is the axles. I have no idea why we didn’t replace them when the shell was off. Sure would have been easier! We plan to order them in the next couple of weeks though. Live and learn!

Our first official camp-out is planned for Halloween weekend with The Heart of Texas Camping Unit at Fort Richardson State Park in Jacksboro and we can’t wait!  Happy Camping!

Paint Day….FINALLY!

For us, painting would be the moment when all the scars from years of neglect and time would be washed away. We scrubbed, and cleaned, and scrubbed some more to get her prepared for her instant make-over. We used Adhesion primer and Duration paint from Sherwin Williams. What a transformation! The color is actually a light gray (On The Rocks) but it looks white in the pictures.  Our new lighting from www.LED4RV.com looks awesome….we are PSYCHED! Now on to that front end cap!

Fantastic Fans!

Last weekend we tackled replacing the vents and fans with Fantastic Fans. Dan perched on the roof  like a bird on a wire, while I watched!  Actually, I handed him tools, held the ladder, and offered moral support. Oh, and I held the bucking bar! We have the center ceiling panel down so we were able to buck the vents on. Hopefully we won’t have any leaks. They look FANTASTIC! No more plastic and duct tape…YAY!

The trade-off for ditching the old fixtures…no lights. We ordered three LED recessed lights from Super Bright LED’s to install down the center of the ceiling hoping it would be enough. To test them out we took  a 12 volt deer feeder battery into a dark closet and hooked one up. It’s bright, but I don’t think three will be enough.  We’ll have to figure something else out for additional lighting.  Time for more research. First stop,  Airforums.com!