Back on track!

After several months of being derailed by work, we are back on track!  We have made a little progress here and there over the last few months, but it doesn’t seem like much. Although, when I finally uploaded our pictures starting in January, yes…January :/, we have accomplished more than I thought!

Our trailer never had an A/C unit. From what we understand the proper placement of an A/C unit, if you wanted to add one, was to cut another hole between the two rear vent holes.  To us this seemed crazy. Why wouldn’t you just put it in the center?  Then we realized the ribs  weren’t continuous at the center vent hole.  They stopped half way up on either side.  To fix the problem, Dan riveted aluminum channel to the existing ribs and buck riveted it to the outer skin.  Now the vent hole will be strong enough to hold a new A/C unit and it will be centered on the roof. I’m happy!

We used Trempro to seal all the seams from the inside, installed all the new wiring, got the new 7-way plug wired up and installed new seals on the two front stationary windows.  We insulated behind the end caps and got those big boys back up! It was a challenge for two people so we used some big wood closet rods we had to help support them.

That brings us up to date on our progress since the Holidays! Sure doesn’t seam like much but…we are BACK ON TRACK!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

More Storage!

Removing the end cap in the bathroom wasn’t an option in our trailer, it had to go. Unfortunately, with it went all the storage space. We didn’t want to give up the open feel in the bathroom by building an upper cabinet over the hot water tank, but we needed a mirror and a place for a few toiletries. This is what Dan came up with. I love it! He said it was probably more work than it was worth but I’m glad he took the time to do it. Now we have a mirror and a place for all our stuff!

What a year!

In a few days, it will be one year since we started the process of bringing a neglected 1976 Airstream back to life.  It’s been more work than we ever imagined, cost way more than we thought it would, and has been the most challenging and exciting project we have ever done.  We are really happy with the way it turned out but there’s  two things we should have done differently. The first thing is the flooring. The VCT tile we used looks great and we don’t have any complaints, but Marmoleum would have been awesome!  The second is the axles. I have no idea why we didn’t replace them when the shell was off. Sure would have been easier! We plan to order them in the next couple of weeks though. Live and learn!

Our first official camp-out is planned for Halloween weekend with The Heart of Texas Camping Unit at Fort Richardson State Park in Jacksboro and we can’t wait!  Happy Camping!

Cabinets and Countertops!

The excitement here is building! We are so close it’s hard to pull ourselves away from it to do our real job!  

We used Ebony Wiping Stain from Sherwin Williams on the oak cabinets and stained the birch walls to match the end cap up front. We chose “Pomegranate” laminate from Wilsonart for our countertops and found the aluminum countertop edging and cove moulding at our local lumber yard. Thanks Darrin!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Building A Shower….Sounds Easy…NOT!

It’s been a while since we conquered the building of the shower but I’m just now over it! We thought when we pulled out the end cap and replaced it that the hard part was over, not hardly. Honestly, if we had known how much time it would take, we may have spent the big bucks for this insert from Inland RV!   The original bath had the furnace duct and vent under the bathtub. This made building a strong base for the shower a challenge. The other tricky part was the walls. Dan wanted to curve the rear wall back in over the drain pipes that run along the wall to give him a little more elbow room.  So, the left wall is one height, the right wall a little shorter, because we are at the rear of the trailer where it starts to curve down, and the back wall has an “s” curve in it. We both like a good challenge but this almost ate our lunch! Glad it’s done….moving on!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Paint Day….FINALLY!

For us, painting would be the moment when all the scars from years of neglect and time would be washed away. We scrubbed, and cleaned, and scrubbed some more to get her prepared for her instant make-over. We used Adhesion primer and Duration paint from Sherwin Williams. What a transformation! The color is actually a light gray (On The Rocks) but it looks white in the pictures.  Our new lighting from looks awesome….we are PSYCHED! Now on to that front end cap!

The End…caps!

We had been debating our end caps for some time, and decided they had to go. The rear bath one for sure. Our tub was damaged beyond repair and the counter top sink area was almost as bad. We had already purchased a shower pan and tried to incorporate the end cap into the design but, it’s just wasn’t working. After we took out the rear one and got a look at what we needed to do, we took out the front one too!

Our plan was to make new ones out of wood. The rear one we would make out of some 1/8 plywood that was given to us, and paint it the same color as the rest of the interior. The front one would be birch plywood. You can see how we did it in the pictures. We made some ribs to attach the panels to, backed them with styro-foam block spacers, made our patterns out of cardboard, cut the panels, riveted them up, then cut trim strips and riveted them to it. We used washers with the rivets on the back of the wood anywhere we could get to. We were thrilled with the way it turned out…especially after it was painted!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.