In all the excitement of finding a new trailer to restore, we have avoided talking about what we knew had to happen. We have to find a new home for our beloved Overlander. Unfortunately, we don’t have the time, money, or space to properly care for more than one trailer at a time. I just have to look at it like this…we rescued her from near death, performed major reconstructive surgery, rehabilitated her and prepared her for an exciting future of travel and adventure for many years to come. In return, she opened up the world of the WBCCI and Airstreaming to us. We have met the most fantastic people, made life long friends, and had a blast at camp outs and rallies with the HOTCU. She provided us with a temporary home while we built our permanent one and taught us to “See More, Do More, Live More“.
Edit: Our trailer is sold but you may be able to view the listing on Airstream Classifieds here.
Removing the end cap in the bathroom wasn’t an option in our trailer, it had to go. Unfortunately, with it went all the storage space. We didn’t want to give up the open feel in the bathroom by building an upper cabinet over the hot water tank, but we needed a mirror and a place for a few toiletries. This is what Dan came up with. I love it! He said it was probably more work than it was worth but I’m glad he took the time to do it. Now we have a mirror and a place for all our stuff!
In a few days, it will be one year since we started the process of bringing a neglected 1976 Airstream back to life. It’s been more work than we ever imagined, cost way more than we thought it would, and has been the most challenging and exciting project we have ever done. We are really happy with the way it turned out but there’s two things we should have done differently. The first thing is the flooring. The VCT tile we used looks great and we don’t have any complaints, but Marmoleum would have been awesome! The second is the axles. I have no idea why we didn’t replace them when the shell was off. Sure would have been easier! We plan to order them in the next couple of weeks though. Live and learn!
Our first official camp-out is planned for Halloween weekend with The Heart of Texas Camping Unit at Fort Richardson State Park in Jacksboro and we can’t wait! Happy Camping!
The bathroom was the most time-consuming part of our renovation. It tried our patience to the bitter end but…………it was worth it!
Just a little reminder of how nasty and disgusting it was!
It’s been a while since we conquered the building of the shower but I’m just now over it! We thought when we pulled out the end cap and replaced it that the hard part was over, not hardly. Honestly, if we had known how much time it would take, we may have spent the big bucks for this insert from Inland RV! The original bath had the furnace duct and vent under the bathtub. This made building a strong base for the shower a challenge. The other tricky part was the walls. Dan wanted to curve the rear wall back in over the drain pipes that run along the wall to give him a little more elbow room. So, the left wall is one height, the right wall a little shorter, because we are at the rear of the trailer where it starts to curve down, and the back wall has an “s” curve in it. We both like a good challenge but this almost ate our lunch! Glad it’s done….moving on!