It’s hard to imagine sometimes what life was like almost 50 years ago. No cell phones or internet, and color TV’s had JUST become popular! I did a quick google search to get a feel for life in 1966 and here’s what I found…
- Unemployment was 4.5%
- The median family income was $7,400. (I would love to know what the purchase price was in 1966 for our Safari.) UPDATE: Suggested Retail Price for a 1964 Safari (new) was $4,075.
- “The Sound of Music” won the Academy Award.
- The Vietnam War was on going with 250,000 troops in Vietnam.
- Ceasers Palace opened in Las Vegas.
- The Beatles had their last US performance at Candlestick Park.
- Star Trek – Episode 1 aired on NBC.
- Twister was all the rage.
- The #1 song was Simon and Garfunkle’s “The Sound of Silence”.
- “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” was aired for the first time on CBS.
- The space race continues to see who will be the first on the moon.
- Medicare begins.
- FDA declared the pill safe.
- Mini skirts were in fashion.
- The Valley of The Dolls was published.
- “Caution: Cigarette smoking may be hazardous to your health” was added to cigarette packs. (key word “may”!)
- John Lennon met Yoko Ono.
- Walt Disney died.
- The National Park Service turned 50 years old.
One thing is for sure…the music was sooooo groovey! (Davey Jones alert..twice!)
My girl Nancy deserves a solo!